Political Ideology




I am a senior at Everest Public High School, a small charter school in the Bay Area, which is a pretty diverse area. Throughout this blog, I will explore different topics regarding politics in America. In this post, I will share about my political ideology and consider reasons why I believe these things. I figured out my political beliefs by completing a 23 question quiz from the Pew Research Center.






My political ideology is Next Generation Left, who typically affiliate with the Democratic Party. Some common characteristics of people who fall in this category are "Generally young, well-educated and financially comfortable." In regards to common issues, I have liberal attitudes on "homosexuality, abortion, the environment and foreign policy." Since I have grown up in the diverse Bay Area, I have heard the different sides regarding the most controversial topics. I think that the personal decisions like homosexuality and abortion should not be controlled by government policy because I have interacted with people who've had to deal with homosexuality or abortion. My past experience with joining Team ECO has made me more concerned about the environment. I also agree with liberal attitude for foreign policy because I was raised in a way where violence was never the answer; I think there should be more focus on establishing better communication instead of military power. According to the Pew Research Center, another characteristic of the Next Generation Left is that we are "wary of expanding the social safety net." I do not completely agree with this because I have family member who rely on food stamps, and my family had depending on unemployment assistance, so I can understand how important it is to have these programs in place. At the same time, however, I can also see how the social safety net can easily be abused if people find a loophole; it can only be effective if implemented correctly. One last trait of the Next Generation left is that there are often "positive views of Wall Street’s impact on the economy." Personally, however, I don't have a stance on this issue because I have not seen how it directly affects me and family.



What this means in how I would vote is that I would be likely to support the Democratic candidate in an election. An important feature to notice in this graph is that solid liberals almost always vote democratic. And either business conservative or steadfast conservatives have the same percentage for voting conservative.

Tune in next week, where I will research two conflicting interest groups!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media

Political Parties

Voting and Elections